This is the checklist you need to ensure your SQL Server environment is optimally setup for Data Warehouse loads. I have compiled it based on experience and the FastTrack data warehouse reference architecture.
- Confirm that Windows Server 2012 Application Server role is enabled to ensure proper .NET framework installation and defaults.
- Enable the Lock Pages in Memory Option.
- Enable -E trace option to SQL Server. This improves sequential disk access.
- Enable -T1117 option to SQL Server. This trace flag ensures even growth of all files in a file group in the case that autogrow is enabled.
- Enable -T610 trace flag on SQL Server. This will aid utilization of minimally logged operations for bulk inserts.
- DB file growth is preallocated rather than autogrow except tempdb.
- Set Max SQL Server Memory. Should be <= 92% of total physical memory.
- Set page compression on large tables. Size recommended >= 1 million records.
These settings will improved SQL performance for data warehouse loads but will negatively affect other OLTP type systems, such as SharePoint or CRM running on the server.
You will need elevated permissions on the Windows Server to perform some of these tasks.
Supporting links: SQL Server FastTrack Reference Architecture Guide